DIY_EFI Digest Wednesday, 20 January 1999 Volume 04 : Number 046 In this issue: Re: HALP dribbling Thanks everyone Re: HALP Quadrajet dribbling DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths Re: HALP dribbling Thanks everyone RE: HALP Quadrajet dribbling ECU6 EFI system construction Converting vane type airflow meter to MAF Stand alone fuel injection RE: Mopar PCM help request Re: DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths Re: HALP dribbling Thanks everyone Re: HALP Quadrajet dribbling Injector Voltage Non EFI, but could not resist sharing!!! Re: DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths Re: DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths Re: Injector Voltage Re: Converting vane type airflow meter to MAF Re: Injector Voltage Re: Converting vane type airflow meter to MAF Re: ECU6 EFI system construction RE: HALP Quadrajet dribbling Re: ECU6 EFI system construction Another File Uploaded RE: FINIS HALP Quadrajet dribbling Re: Mitsubishi VR Problems See the end of the digest for information on subscribing to the DIY_EFI or DIY_EFI-Digest mailing lists. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Clarence L.Snyder" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:29:07 -0500 Subject: Re: HALP dribbling Thanks everyone Peter Fenske wrote: > > Hi Rick, Bruce and all the other helpful people > > The carb is fine, brass floats, expoxied plugs, level 11/32 and > tried a fact rblt one just to check. When adjusted both carbs do this. > Ported spark and 0 degrees inital. > > Yep Rick you are right. I have to get the CO to less than 1.5% > to meet standard. If I leave it at 3% runs like a champ > no dribbling but is illegial > > To get the cat to light you have to have less than 1% > > You guys did get me thinking. In order to idle > properly with the lean mixture required a much > higher airflow is required. this tends to activate the > main booster, hence the dribbling. > Also the low vapor pressure used here in winter > is a contributation. > > What we are gonna try and the CO meter likes it > is creating a massive air leak. HC goes up > but should be tolerable. > > Just hope the smog guys don't see it > > Thanks all:peter > > And no this is not how the car will be driven later Rework the booster venturi to make it a little less responsive, or get a booster from a different carb if it is removeable. Your air bypass idea also has merit - possibly reprofiling the throttle plates to get the additional airflow running on the outside of the throat instead of down the center might be an option. ------------------------------ From: "Clarence L.Snyder" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:03:23 -0500 Subject: Re: HALP Quadrajet dribbling Is the vacuum advance ported or manifold? Going from ported to manifold can increase your idle speed significantly with no increase in throttle opening - possibly get you over the hump. I used to do this regularly on slant sixes and 318s in the late 60s to late 70s. > > ------------------------------ From: Charles Brooks Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:13:49 -0500 Subject: DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths O.K. so the consensus seems to be that the improvement over batch fire systems that is seen with a SEFI system is negligible. So, how does the batch fire system operate with 8 injectors? does it fire 1/8th of the fuel every 1/8th of the combustion cycle? (I don't think it does :) I just don't know what it does do. I had assumed that batch fire meant firing all injectors at the same time... And that SEFI fired a single injector when that injectors' intake valve opened... Does the batch fire only fire 2 at a time? 4? I think what I'm going to do is buy the FIS PROM for the TPI setup and dump it to study. After I buy a programmable system I'll have the FIS PROM image to start with and fall back on in the event I goof something up. Does that sound like a reasonable line of pursuit, or a cop out?! LoL! Charles Brooks ------------------------------ From: Tom Sharpe Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:22:01 -0600 Subject: Re: HALP dribbling Thanks everyone Peter Fenske wrote: > You guys did get me thinking. In order to idle > properly with the lean mixture required a much > higher airflow is required. this tends to activate the > main booster, hence the dribbling. > Also the low vapor pressure used here in winter > is a contributation. > > What we are gonna try and the CO meter likes it > is creating a massive air leak. HC goes up > but should be tolerable. You might try openning the secondaries just a tad until you pass..... Tom ------------------------------ From: bearbvd@xxx.net (Greg Hermann) Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:37:40 -0700 Subject: RE: HALP Quadrajet dribbling >If it hasn't been brought up already, I would check the idle air bleed >passages by running a fine wire through them to clean them out. >It is just a thought. > Ahhhh--you have learned much, Grasshoppah--but in this case, it is often a pickled mosquito which is the culprit!! Greg ------------------------------ From: "Mike Pilkenton" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:03:56 -0800 Subject: ECU6 EFI system construction This is a multi-part message in MIME format. - ------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01BE43D6.14D4B820 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Al, I checked out this site that Ron mentioned and it looks very = promising. For these prices, it seems almost too costly to reinvent the = processor PCB. I never heard any other feedback postings but what do = you all think about using one of these off-the-shelf boards (cheap, = upgradable, and available now) and then just designing an I/O board to = mate to it? Mike Pilkenton - -----Original Message----- From: Ronald T. Webb To: diy_efi@xxx.edu = Date: Wednesday, January 13, 1999 9:53 PM Subject: Re: ECU6 EFI system construction =20 =20 Greetings -=20 This "ECU 6" sounds interesting. 2 suggestions=20 =20 1- Before deciding to build our own processor board, look at New = Micro's=20 They have several boards - fully functional - in the $30 to $80 = range...=20 =20 2 - Development software is easiest if not done with the cheap = public domain stuff -=20 My own favorite is Embedded Workbench by IAR . Their C = development system for the 8751 is like working with the old = Turbo Pascal. They have a free demo version that's still better than = small C.=20 =20 Just a suggestion. I also would get involved. Hardware or = software...=20 =20 =20 =20 - ------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01BE43D6.14D4B820 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Al,  I checked out this site = that Ron=20 mentioned and it looks very promising.  For these prices, it seems = almost=20 too costly to reinvent the processor PCB.  I never heard any other = feedback=20 postings but what do you all think about using one of these = off-the-shelf boards=20 (cheap, upgradable, and available now) and then just designing an I/O = board to=20 mate to it?

Mike Pilkenton
-----Original = Message-----
From:=20 Ronald T. Webb <>
To:= =20 =20 <>
Date:=20 Wednesday, January 13, 1999 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: ECU6 = EFI=20 system construction

Greetings -=20

This "ECU 6" sounds interesting. 2 suggestions=20

1- Before deciding to build our own processor board, look = at  New Micro's
    = They have=20 several boards - fully functional - in the $30 to $80 range...=20

2 - Development software is easiest if not done with the cheap = public=20 domain stuff -
     My own favorite is = Embedded=20 Workbench by  IAR . Their C=20 development        system for the = 8751 is=20 like working with the old Turbo Pascal. They have a free demo = version that's=20 still better than small C.=20

Just a suggestion. I also would get involved. Hardware or = software...=20

- ------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01BE43D6.14D4B820-- ------------------------------ From: "Brian Franchuk" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:12:47 0000 Subject: Converting vane type airflow meter to MAF I just joined this list a couple days ago so I applogize if this is a repeat question. I am trying to determine the feasibility of converting the vane type airflow meter in my 88 BMW 535i to a MAF system. My main reasons for doing this are the increased airflow to the engine (more HP) and the reliability (no moving parts). My questions are: 1) Are my assumptions above correct? 2) How difficult is this conversion to do? I am an embedded systems programmer so the software isn't really a problem. What I really need to know is how complex is the conversion algorithm? Do I need to add a MAP or a trottle position sensor? 3) Are there any books you can recommend for this type of project? 4) Is there is good "hobbyist" MAF out there that will fit well to this engine (3.5l ~6600 RPM ~220 HP). I can deal with voltage or pulse output. I was thinking of using a sensor from a 5.0 l Mustang since it would be easy to find a replacement if necessary. Thanks. Brian Franchuk ------------------------------ From: Chris Hill Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 21:16:02 -0500 (EST) Subject: Stand alone fuel injection Everyone, I am in the process of converting a motorcycle engine to EFI. The engine will run a M85 mixture (85% methanol, 15% gas) and be turbo charged, and have an output of 25 hp/cylinder. I was wondering what the concensous would be on wha manufacturer to use for this kind of set-up. Thanks, Christopher E. Hill University of Tennessee 1998 National Football champions chill6@xxx.edu ------------------------------ From: xxalexx@xxx.com Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:07:51 +0000 Subject: RE: Mopar PCM help request > No scanner unfortunately. The wiring diagram covers about 20+ pages in the > Factory manual for 98 RAM Pickup. What are you looking for? > > 7812 is weird baud rate. If I put a 485 transceiver on the bus will it > correctly translate the signal to TTL? Do you have any good references to > read for this bus? > I looked at some OBD2 diagnostic data on a Dodge Ram last year. A astronomer decoded similiar data for a pre-obd mopar over a weekend and posted in archives. It is a 2 wire Rx Tx serial, you can invert to rs232. The bytes I have are 8192 baud not from the ISO-K line and did not seem to be any SAE spec. Chrysler is adapting to CAN bus for non-diagnostic com. If you can not find in archives I can repost. If you get any bytes I can see if they are J2178 decodeable. alex ------------------------------ From: "Bruce Plecan" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:15:12 -0500 Subject: Re: DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths - -----Original Message----- From: Charles Brooks To: DIY_EFI Fuel Injection List Date: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 9:49 PM Subject: DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths >O.K. so the consensus seems to be that the improvement over >batch fire systems that is seen with a SEFI system is negligible. Other than what M Pitts pointed out >So, how does the batch fire system operate with 8 injectors? >does it fire 1/8th of the fuel every 1/8th of the combustion >cycle? (I don't think it does :) I just don't know what it does >do. > >I had assumed that batch fire meant firing all injectors at the >same time... Yes And that SEFI fired a single injector when that >injectors' intake valve opened... Strategy varies about when to fire the injector, but once per cylinders ignition pulse. > >Does the batch fire only fire 2 at a time? 4? Usually all 8 > >I think what I'm going to do is buy the FIS PROM for the TPI >setup and dump it to study. After I buy a programmable system >I'll have the FIS PROM image to start with and fall back on in >the event I goof something up. Does that sound like a reasonable >line of pursuit, or a cop out?! LoL! What's FIS, and what are you working on?, ecm?. Bruce > > >Charles Brooks > ------------------------------ From: bearbvd@xxx.net (Greg Hermann) Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:06:58 -0700 Subject: Re: HALP dribbling Thanks everyone >Peter Fenske wrote: > >> You guys did get me thinking. In order to idle >> properly with the lean mixture required a much >> higher airflow is required. this tends to activate the >> main booster, hence the dribbling. >> Also the low vapor pressure used here in winter >> is a contributation. >> >> What we are gonna try and the CO meter likes it >> is creating a massive air leak. HC goes up >> but should be tolerable. > >You might try openning the secondaries just a tad until you pass..... Tom And setting the float level a bit lower than specified will delay the beginning of the dribble also! Greg ------------------------------ From: "Jon Fedock" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:19:32 -0500 Subject: Re: HALP Quadrajet dribbling Hello Group, Just to make sure, you did set the timing with the 4-prong connector disconnected didn't you? If not, timing would be significantly slower than normal. Just a guess. Jon - -- >> hose. Also sometimes you can cheat by bumping the timming to get some more >> rpm at idle. >> ------------------------------ From: "Curt Platteborze" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:25:11 -0500 Subject: Injector Voltage I just made a test setup, fuel pump, reg and filter to test and clean my Bosche fuel injectors before I reinstall them in my motor. Can someone tell me the voltage that is needed to fire the injectors? I know they are driven by pulses from the PCM but not sure of the voltage. Thanks, Curt ------------------------------ From: bearbvd@xxx.net (Greg Hermann) Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:42:59 -0700 Subject: Non EFI, but could not resist sharing!!! Hi, all-- After thinking some more on the little thing I wasted bandwidth with this AM, it occurred to me that we could propose a way for our fine senators to settle two major hassles--let slick stay in office, and let Microsoft out of the anti-trust suit against it if slick will agree to appoint Gates, and Gates will agree to serve as the head of the NHTSA for the balance of slick's term! Consider (from the first post): 6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on 5% of the roads. I would certainly be willing to impale an apple on my hood ornament in order to be able to drive five times as fast, even if only on 5% of the roads!! :-) Regards, Greg ------------------------------ From: ECMnut@xxx.com Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:49:58 EST Subject: Re: DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths In a message dated 1/19/99 8:19:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, cbrooks1@xxx.net writes: > Does the batch fire only fire 2 at a time? 4? > With the GM stuff, I believe most of the 8 cylinder applications have injector circiuts A & B, and they alternate.. 4's & 6's depend on the ECM. Some fire all injectors together, some alternate.. This refers to batch fires, not SEFI.. ------------------------------ From: ECMnut@xxx.com Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:56:44 EST Subject: Re: DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths In a message dated 1/19/99 10:14:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, nacelp@xxx.net writes: > > > >Does the batch fire only fire 2 at a time? 4? > > Usually all 8 > > ------------------------------ From: "ron.boley" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:16:31 -0500 Subject: Re: Injector Voltage Curt, They are typically driven from the battery rail (12-14.5v) and switched through a transistor in basic form. Design and technology varies from OEM to OEM. Keep in mind that you don't want to overheat the injector. Keeping a liquid running through the injector helps keep it cool. If your technical or have a technical buddy it may be easy to rig up a test circuit to do the pulsing. Best of luck Ron Curt Platteborze wrote: > > I just made a test setup, fuel pump, reg and filter to test and clean my > Bosche fuel injectors before I reinstall them in my motor. > > Can someone tell me the voltage that is needed to fire the injectors? I know > they are driven by pulses from the PCM but not sure of the voltage. > > Thanks, > > Curt ------------------------------ From: trinity@xxx.net (Mike) Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:25:24 -0500 Subject: Re: Converting vane type airflow meter to MAF >I just joined this list a couple days ago so I applogize if this is a >repeat question. I am trying to determine the feasibility of >converting the vane type airflow meter in my 88 BMW 535i to a MAF >system. My main reasons for doing this are the increased airflow to >the engine (more HP) and the reliability (no moving parts). My >questions are: > >1) Are my assumptions above correct? > >2) How difficult is this conversion to do? I am an embedded systems > programmer so the software isn't really a problem. What I really > need to know is how complex is the conversion algorithm? Do I > need to add a MAP or a trottle position sensor? > >3) Are there any books you can recommend for this type of project? > >4) Is there is good "hobbyist" MAF out there that will fit well to > this engine (3.5l ~6600 RPM ~220 HP). I can deal with voltage or > pulse output. I was thinking of using a sensor from a 5.0 l > Mustang since it would be easy to find a replacement if necessary. > >Thanks. > >Brian Franchuk > > I did a VAF ("volume air flow" which uses a moving-core measureing device similar to a vane) to MAF conversion on my Probe GT using a PIC16C71, a 12-bit Linear Tech DAC and a Ford 55mm MAF from a 1992 Taurus. In the case of the 2.5L V6 in my PGT, I can't say I saw a large increase in power though the effect is noticeable - maybe 5HP. However, 55mm is quite small and I'll be trying a 70mm or 73mm MAF in the spring. These are available from Vortech and whatnot for about $190US new. I'm not sure if an otherwise stock 2.5L V6 of 164HP flows enough air even at 7000RPM to see 55mm as a restriction but 3.5L @xxx. I didn't add any additional sensors to the PGT though I might add an IAT correction to the conversion this spring. I characterized the setup at about 20oC ambient but I find the car runs rich when it's cold out and maybe a tad lean when it's hot. I have a little pot on the controller I can use to adjust the offset a tad rich or lean but it'd be nice to have this done automagically by sensing IAT and using that to correct the mass-to-volume conversion. Check out my web site at http://www.golden.net/~trinity and find the MAF conversion page. It's quite cheesy and more of an outline to what I did than a technical treatise but it does describe how I characterized the setup by placing both sensors in series, datalogging both simultaneously and creating a look-up table from the resulting data. I may have to re-do this when I switch to a 70mm unit. I'd go with the Ford unit though I'd look into a 70mm Vortech unit first. I think the garden-variety 5.0L used a 55mm (or so) MAF and you may want something larger with a motor as you describe. GM sensors aren't too bad airflow wise but I found their 30-150Hz output too slow for high-speed conversion using my PIC-box. I wanted the linear output of the Ford MAF for this reason. I also like the design airflow-wise of the Ford unit over the GM for a given package size. I think some late-80s 300ZXs also came with a very-nice looking MAF (I saw such a MAF in a wreckers once and asked where it came from and that's what he told me...300ZX). It looked like it'd flow Hurricane Andrew though I know nothing of the output characteristics. - -- Mike ------------------------------ From: "Bruce Plecan" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:35:32 -0500 Subject: Re: Injector Voltage - -----Original Message----- From: ron.boley To: diy_efi@xxx.edu> Date: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 11:29 PM Subject: Re: Injector Voltage Did you read the article about injector cleaning/testing off the home page?. Worthwhile Bruce >Curt, >They are typically driven from the battery rail (12-14.5v) and switched >through a transistor in basic form. Design and technology varies from >OEM to OEM. >Keep in mind that you don't want to overheat the injector. Keeping a >liquid running through the injector helps keep it cool. If your >technical or have a technical buddy it may be easy to rig up a test >circuit to do the pulsing. >Best of luck >Ron >Curt Platteborze wrote: >> I just made a test setup, fuel pump, reg and filter to test and clean my >> Bosche fuel injectors before I reinstall them in my motor. >> Can someone tell me the voltage that is needed to fire the injectors? I know >> they are driven by pulses from the PCM but not sure of the voltage. >> Thanks, >> Curt ------------------------------ From: "Bruce Plecan" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:41:20 -0500 Subject: Re: Converting vane type airflow meter to MAF - -----Original Message----- From: Brian Franchuk To: DIY_EFI@xxx.edu> Date: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 9:28 PM Subject: Converting vane type airflow meter to MAF Where ya going to get the MAF?. How are you going to determine exactly how it works?. Is it's ouput linear, etc?. How are you going to test it's calibration?. Might just think of a MAP sensor. If anyway possible put a palm scope on it and see exactly what it's output is from idle to WOT. Cheers Bruce I just joined this list a couple days ago so I applogize if this is a repeat question. I am trying to determine the feasibility of converting the vane type airflow meter in my 88 BMW 535i to a MAF system. My main reasons for doing this are the increased airflow to the engine (more HP) and the reliability (no moving parts). My questions are: 1) Are my assumptions above correct? 2) How difficult is this conversion to do? I am an embedded systems programmer so the software isn't really a problem. What I really need to know is how complex is the conversion algorithm? Do I need to add a MAP or a trottle position sensor? 3) Are there any books you can recommend for this type of project? 4) Is there is good "hobbyist" MAF out there that will fit well to this engine (3.5l ~6600 RPM ~220 HP). I can deal with voltage or pulse output. I was thinking of using a sensor from a 5.0 l Mustang since it would be easy to find a replacement if necessary. Thanks. Brian Franchuk ------------------------------ From: Tom Sharpe Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:36:21 -0600 Subject: Re: ECU6 EFI system construction > This "ECU 6" sounds interesting. suggestions > I Likehttp://www.steroidmicros.com/and especially http://www.interlog.com/~techart/myfiles/ad912.html The HC11, 12 and 16 all share (almost) common assembler source. count me in Tom ------------------------------ From: Marc Piccioni Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:41:15 -0700 Subject: RE: HALP Quadrajet dribbling Try lowering the float level, this may result in a slight hesitation until the main circuit can start up due to requiring additional signal to pull fuel, but should clean up the dribble problem. Let me know if it works. - ---------- From: Peter Fenske[SMTP:pfenske@xxx.ca] Sent: January 19, 1999 1:33 AM To: diy_efi@xxx.edu Subject: Re: HALP Quadrajet dribbling Howday all Hope you don't mind a excursion into history Relative has a quadrajet equiped car which must pass smog To get the cat to light CO must stay below 1% We can get this adjustment but dribbling from the primary venturi booster sets in.. randomly. One minute the CO is 0 % cat on and next minute is 5% cat drowned not lit. Does anyone remember how to cure venturi dribbling I managed to do this once by increasing the idle feed restrictions but smog won't allow me to do this.. Any ideas please TIA:peter begin 600 WINMAIL.DAT M>)\^(AL%`0:0" `$```````!``$``0>0!@`(````Y 0```````#H``$-@ 0` M`@````(``@`!!) &`& !```!````# ````,``# #````"P`/#@`````"`?\/ M`0```&$`````````@2L?I+ZC$!F=;@#=`0]4`@````!D:7E?969I0&5F:3,S M,BYE;F``,P`0`` M`"(```!D:7E?969I0&5F:3,S,BYE;F5]E9FE 969I,S,R+F5N9RYO M:&EO+7-T871E+F5D=2<``@$+, $````G````4TU44#I$25E?149)0$5&23,S M,BY%3D`!X,`0````4```!33510`````!X`'PP!````& ```&UP:6-C:6]N:4!A M='1C86YA9&$N;F5T``,`!A![\M``@0`0```&4```!44EE, M3U=%4DE.1U1(149,3T%43$5614PL5$A)4TU!65)%4U5,5$E.05-,24=(5$A% M4TE4051)3TY53E1)3%1(14U!24Y#25)#54E40T%.4U1!4E154$15151/4D51 M54E224Y'``````(!"1 !````\ ,``.P#``"R!@``3%I&=8@S1<+_``H!#P(5 M`J@%ZP*#`% "\@D"`&-H"L!S970R-P8`!L,"@S(#Q0(`<')"<1'B?,C4U`H '"H$-L0M@;F<&\M(H$?$]!! M`",0/"\WGG5B:B0A@(P`"()XG*:$+@":P'Y!E M>"'P_Q&@xxx.@1S8CDDW M)K$*P7<><'L1$ (P"'$F$&]O$\'/!< 1L00@"X N+A[@`'"13C!M;'DH MG4]N(5$_"X F,",Q'6%6P1Z!," N)57C(*%>,2!?H'AT]PJ%7]4>@35A!">@ M'-!?H)]AL2\05E$V`"BL1&\'D?\`<$WP7Z$7H > !M T829POP?@(U%/(1UP M7(9'ODD>H7\DD%5P)K C44XP'E0"(&/]'7!B'* +@ 4`)O `D!TE?&ED'? * MA35@xxx.4O],D2H1*<%IHPJ%'F)=\"BL_D%E MT&NQ:Q$E8";A$; HK/A424$U0#1"*P](?TF+715B,A*P2LT6P0!X$ ,`$! ` M`````P`1$ ````! ```#T``0````4` ,``!213H@`````,"; ` end ------------------------------ From: "Ronald T. Webb" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 21:23:02 -0900 Subject: Re: ECU6 EFI system construction - --------------72D4BA2A4234EE25C73AD49F Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Mike Pilkenton wrote: > Al, I checked out this site that Ron mentioned and it looks very > promising. For these prices, it seems almost too costly to reinvent > the processor PCB. I never heard any other feedback postings but what > do you all think about using one of these off-the-shelf boards (cheap, > upgradable, and available now) and then just designing an I/O board to > mate to it? If it helps, I am currently using one of their products for a remote monitoring project at work. I've had real good luck with the company. The boards can be had based on the 87535 - which is a virtual clone of the '552. It also comes with small C assembler, basic, and forth.- on top of that, there are drivers for keypad and LCD display (in C and forth) . all for $79 - hard to pass up - --------------72D4BA2A4234EE25C73AD49F Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Mike Pilkenton wrote:

 Al,  I checked out this site that Ron mentioned and it looks very promising.  For these prices, it seems almost too costly to reinvent the processor PCB.  I never heard any other feedback postings but what do you all think about using one of these off-the-shelf boards (cheap, upgradable, and available now) and then just designing an I/O board to mate to it?
If it helps, I am currently using one of their products for a remote monitoring project at work. I've had real good luck with the company.

The boards can be had based on the 87535 - which is a virtual clone of the '552. It also comes with small C assembler, basic, and forth.- on top of that, there are drivers for keypad and LCD display (in C and forth) ------------------------------ From: "Ross Myers" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:53:39 +1100 Subject: Another File Uploaded Hey all, I've uploaded another P6 ECU BIN file. Again from an Aussie Holden, I'm not sure on this ones application though, V6, V6S or V8, Man or Auto I don't know. I will endeavour to find out, but it is from a Commodore. File is - BWPJ1640.BIN (128K size) Bye Ross P.S - Notice ,only 8 character file name this time ;-) ------------------------------ From: "Peter Fenske" Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:22:18 -0800 Subject: RE: FINIS HALP Quadrajet dribbling - --0__=aevOGP0jESxF4xXiBV1z0eNIDXbBh77aLmTbUOT3fvGrBvjfIv0wzi4U Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline Hi Marc and all.. Thanks all for the good suggestions.. Yep Marc I will try lowering the float level to 1" but with the current smog settings the car will barely move..This is not gonna help that much Turns out in one of my quadrajet books the hotter chevy engines had a air bypass in the throttle body. Mule engines didn't have this open.. So I can drill some holes in the throttle body to pass more air. Easier than wearing out throttle shafts. Thanks again every body for the kind help :peter Marc Piccioni on 01/19/99 09:41:15 PM Please respond to diy_efi@xxx.edu To: "'diy_efi@xxx.edu'" cc: (bcc: Peter Fenske/BCIT) Subject: RE: HALP Quadrajet dribbling Try lowering the float level, this may result in a slight hesitation until the main circuit can start up due to requiring additional signal to pull fuel, but should clean up the dribble problem. Let me know if it works. - ---------- From: Peter Fenske[SMTP:pfenske@xxx.ca] Sent: January 19, 1999 1:33 AM To: diy_efi@xxx.edu Subject: Re: HALP Quadrajet dribbling Howday all Hope you don't mind a excursion into history Relative has a quadrajet equiped car which must pass smog To get the cat to light CO must stay below 1% We can get this adjustment but dribbling from the primary venturi booster sets in.. randomly. One minute the CO is 0 % cat on and next minute is 5% cat drowned not lit. Does anyone remember how to cure venturi dribbling I managed to do this once by increasing the idle feed restrictions but smog won't allow me to do this.. Any ideas please TIA:peter - --0__=aevOGP0jESxF4xXiBV1z0eNIDXbBh77aLmTbUOT3fvGrBvjfIv0wzi4U Content-type: application/octet-stream; name="WINMAIL.DAT" Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="WINMAIL.DAT" Content-transfer-encoding: base64 eJ8+IhsFAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAENgAQAAgAAAAIAAgABBJAG AGABAAABAAAADAAAAAMAADADAAAACwAPDgAAAAACAf8PAQAAAGEAAAAAAAAAgSsfpL6jEBmdbgDd AQ9UAgAAAABkaXlfZWZpQGVmaTMzMi5lbmcub2hpby1zdGF0ZS5lZHUAU01UUABkaXlfZWZpQGVm aTMzMi5lbmcub2hpby1zdGF0ZS5lZHUAAAAAHgACMAEAAAAFAAAAU01UUAAAAAAeAAMwAQAAACIA AABkaXlfZWZpQGVmaTMzMi5lbmcub2hpby1zdGF0ZS5lZHUAAAADABUMAQAAAAMA/g8GAAAAHgAB MAEAAAAkAAAAJ2RpeV9lZmlAZWZpMzMyLmVuZy5vaGlvLXN0YXRlLmVkdScAAgELMAEAAAAnAAAA U01UUDpESVlfRUZJQEVGSTMzMi5FTkcuT0hJTy1TVEFURS5FRFUAAAMAADkAAAAACwBAOgEAAAAC AfYPAQAAAAQAAAAAAAADnkgBCIAHABgAAABJUE0uTWljcm9zb2Z0IE1haWwuTm90ZQAxCAEEgAEA HQAAAFJFOiBIQUxQIFF1YWRyYWpldCBkcmliYmxpbmcApAkBBYADAA4AAADPBwEAEwAWACkADwAC ADoBASCAAwAOAAAAzwcBABMAFgAmADIAAgBaAQEJgAEAIQAAADhDRjZFRUUwRUVBRkQyMTFCRTlD NDQ0NTUzNTQwMDAwAEQHAQOQBgB0BQAAEgAAAAsAIwAAAAAAAwAmAAAAAAALACkAAAAAAAMANgAA AAAAQAA5AEAson43RL4BHgBwAAEAAAAdAAAAUkU6IEhBTFAgUXVhZHJhamV0IGRyaWJibGluZwAA AAACAXEAAQAAABYAAAABvkQ3fqLg7vaNr+4R0r6cREVTVAAAAAAeAB4MAQAAAAUAAABTTVRQAAAA AB4AHwwBAAAAGAAAAG1waWNjaW9uaUBhdHRjYW5hZGEubmV0AAMABhB78tciAwAHENICAAAeAAgQ AQAAAGUAAABUUllMT1dFUklOR1RIRUZMT0FUTEVWRUwsVEhJU01BWVJFU1VMVElOQVNMSUdIVEhF U0lUQVRJT05VTlRJTFRIRU1BSU5DSVJDVUlUQ0FOU1RBUlRVUERVRVRPUkVRVUlSSU5HAAAAAAIB CRABAAAA8AMAAOwDAACyBgAATFpGdYgzRcL/AAoBDwIVAqgF6wKDAFAC8gkCAGNoCsBzZXQyNwYA BsMCgzIDxQIAcHJCcRHic3RlbQKDM7cC5AcTAoM0EswUxX0KgIsIzwnZOxefMjU1AoAHCoENsQtg bmcxMDMvFFALChRRC/JjAEAgVGhyeSAXMHcGcRqgIJB0aGUgGnBvYQVAwGxldmVsLB1BBACOIADA HKAXoHN1bAVAAQuAIGEgc2xpZ55oBUAdYACQAZB0aQIgfCB1AjADER1SAMAfYWPwaXJjdSBQIbAD kRPAwwrABUB1cCBkClAdQBpvHuFxIgAdA2FkZH8gUCCRB0AfoB/QJJIjUXCbHyADIGYKUB4xYnUF QORzaAhgbGQhsB3wA5HrIuEdUmQFEGICYB1wE1CybyfhbS4KhQqFTBHAsx6gHXBrbhzQH1BmH1Dl BUB3BbBrcyidCosfwAgxODAC0WktMTSeNA3wDNAtUwtZMTYKoOsDYBPQYwVALS93CocuK+sMMC72 RgNhOjB+LvYMgjwgUBHABJAyAAnwc2sAZVtTTVRQOnCSZjSjQGIhwHQuNdD6LiJAXTAfMS0GYAIw Ml81M2tKAHB1CsAcoDE5bx5AOyA7cDsQOhrgFLBNczaPMS1UbzjPM2skQHkyXw3AaUBAYRrgMi6R CfBnLm8ecG8tIoEfE9BBACMQPC83nnViaicvMT5PM2tSZUSgSEGwTFAgUTrQJ6BhRGCfBUAnpB0R K38sgzM2LffXG9Uu9iisSBzQZB7BB0DqbEtOcB1weQhgIwACIJ4nKaELgCawH5BleCHw/xGgIJIL gCNRHnEjUByQKKzfRoALYCCAHhAgEGEEIB+QvyOgRzYjkk3AJrEKwXcecHsRcB6gdRPAJWBR4AQg c+cEYEg2PiAgZymRHVIiQOdVkSNgH8RDT1PkIoEcoKZiHiAqETElCoVXVdLvA6BVdB6BJCBqVAEH gAIw/yYTR7cdgANhHUIKhRNQB3CfOuIeEAIwCHEmEG9vE8HPBcARsQQgC4AuLh7gAHCRTjBtbHko nU9uIVE/C4AmMCMxHWFWwR6BMCAuJVXjIKFeMSBfoHh09wqFX9UegTVhBCegHNBfoJ9hsS8QVlE2 ACisRG8Hkf8AcE3wX6EXoAeABtA0YSZwvwfgI1FPIR1wXIZHvkkeoX8kkFVwJrAjUU4wHlQCIGP9 HXBiHKALgAUAJvAAkB0lfGlkHfAKhTVgUyEe8XT/BRAvQCCRBCAmI1ShKpFOUv9MkSoRKcFpowqF HmJd8Cis/kFl0GuxaxElYCbhEbAorPhUSUE1QDRCKw9If0mLXRViMhKwSs0WwQB4EAMAEBAAAAAA AwAREAAAAABAAAcwQOWoKDdEvgFAAAgwQOWoKDdEvgEeAD0AAQAAAAUAAABSRTogAAAAAMCb - --0__=aevOGP0jESxF4xXiBV1z0eNIDXbBh77aLmTbUOT3fvGrBvjfIv0wzi4U-- ------------------------------ From: "Ross Myers" Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:05:59 +1100 Subject: Re: Mitsubishi VR Problems >Hi > >I have 1997 Mitsubishi VR (4-cyl, 4G63 Injection Engine) that might have a >problem. >After a long time of driving(approx 3-4 Hours) there is some problem >in the engine that the RPM is choppy (like run out of gas) when a normal >driving and this is not always happen, just sometimes occur. I dont know >what is happening at the engine. What is a general solution for this symptom? >and which part should be inspection for checking. > >Thank you > Check the resistance of the stepper motor used for idle (near the throttle body), it's a 6 pin plug, remove it, and measure across the outside top pins. [][][] [][][] You should get about 70 Ohms, same for the bottom row. If any of these are open replace the stepper (This is a VERY common fault with Mits). Even better when the stepper goes short and takes the ECM out with it!!. HTH Ross Myers ------------------------------ End of DIY_EFI Digest V4 #46 **************************** To subscribe to DIY_EFI-Digest, send the command: subscribe diy_efi-digest in the body of a message to "Majordomo@xxx. A non-digest (direct mail) version of this list is also available; to subscribe to that instead, replace "diy_efi-digest" in the command above with "diy_efi".